Invisalign® invisible retainers are a fantastic alternative to traditional metal braces for many reasons, including how to take care of them. Unlike metal braces, you won’t need special flossing wire or a heavy duty toothbrush just to maintain your teeth and braces.
There are a variety of reasons why we recommend Invisalign treatments to our patients. If you have an Invisalign retainer or aligner, we’ll explain below how you can clean them for a more comfortable, fresher, and relaxing wearing experience.
Top Tips To Clean Your Invisalign Retainer & Tray
- Use a soft-bristled toothbrush. The most effective way to clean your Invisalign aligner is the same way you clean your own teeth! Brush the inside and outside of your retainer gently for a quick and effective cleaning. Avoid brushing too hard to prevent etchings.
- Regularly wash out with water. We highly recommend rinsing out your retainer with cool water after removal at least once a day. This will get rid of much of the bacteria, preventing discoloration and bad odors from forming in your aligner.
- Use Dish Soap, not Toothpaste. Many toothpastes contain chemicals that whiten your teeth, but dull and degrade your retainer. A small amount of dish soap and warm water is much better for cleaning out your aligner while avoiding any damage.
- Buy dedicated retainer solutions. Many storebrand retainer cleaners work great with Invisalign products. This includes cleaning tablets and specialty liquids for a deeper, longer lasting cleaning solution. Just make sure they’re safe for thermoplastic material!
- Consider Vinegar or Hydrogen Peroxide. To completely sterilize and deodorize your aligner, prepare a solution mixed with white vinegar or hydrogen peroxide. Let it soak in the solution for at least 15 minutes, then rinse out with water for ultra effective cleaning!
How Often Do I Need to Clean My Invisalign Retainers & Tray?
How often you need to clean out your Invisalign aligner or retainer depends in part on where you are in your teeth correction process. Aligners are specifically designed to move your teeth in a more desirable direction, and have to be replaced every 2 to 3 weeks. You will rarely have to do a deep cleaning on an Invisalign aligner because you’ll just be getting a new one soon.
Alternatively, retainers are designed to keep your teeth from moving in a new direction once they’re in a good place in your mouth. You will very rarely need to come in and get a new retainer. As such, we recommend doing a deep clean of your Invisalign retainer at least once every few weeks. Clean sooner if you start to notice a build or notice a bad odor to your retainer.
Whether you have a retainer or aligner, we recommend washing out your Invisalign products, including your trays, at least once or twice a day. Rinsing out with cool water will greatly reduce plaque buildup due to the lingering saliva that remains when you remove your Invisalign solution. It’ll also help them look nicer too, so wash them out when you brush your teeth!
Visit SmileArchitects for Invisalign Treatment Today!
We here at The Smile Architects have been helping patients find their perfect smile since 1982. In these past 40 years, we’ve worked hard to provide quality care in an office that is friendly, comfortable, and affordable for our patients. We’ve worked hard to build up our reputations, and are happy to be a Gold+ Invisalign Provider for the Huntersville community.
So if you are interested in Invisalign treatments, or are interested in other treatments to improve your smile, contact us today and schedule an appointment at The Smile Architects today!